What are a Crisis Counselor’s job responsibilities?
The Crisis Counselor is responsible for a range of tasks including:
- Offer evidence-informed data and referral, brief supportive counseling, crisis intervention and suicide prevention provision to callers and/or chat/text visitors who are in emotional distress.
- Conduct assessments in accordance to program policies & procedures.
- Make use of resource referral database to deliver information and referral assistance to callers looking for mental health and substance abuse services.
- Manage interactions to guarantee suitable level of support is provided in efficient manner.
- Follow policies & procedures for each service offered by program.
- Accurately and efficiently document client interactions.
- Meet or surpass established key performance indicator goals.
- Utilize telephone, SMS texting, and/or web chat to interact with clients.
What is the average compensation for a Crisis Counselor in NYC?
A Crisis Counselor in New York can expect to be compensated between $23 and $25 an hour depending on experience and the hospital of employment.
What qualifications do you need to be a Crisis Counselor?
- Master’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work or related field required, and valid NYS license to practice.
- Experience working in Healthcare Contact Center and/or in Mental Health Counseling strongly preferred.
- Must be comfortable working independently and as part of a team in a collegial group environment. Copy of NYS license to practice, and current registration required by date of hire.
- National Provider Identification number required by date of hire; instructions for securing NPI number will be provided.
- Valid NYS License and Registration.
- Fluency in the English language both oral and written.
- Fluency in the Spanish language and/or Cantonese & Mandarin languages (oral required, written optional) preferred.
- Courteous, empathic and professional manner.
- Motivational interviewing.
- Active listening skills to establish working alliance with callers and/or chat/text visitors.
- Efficiency with balancing pace and flow of conversation and call time.
Atlantic Group can help you find new open positions in NYC. Click here to learn more.